5 Tips to Help Brides Look Their Best on Their Wedding Day
by Heather Baker of Makeup by Heather B. – a licensed, professional makeup artist
1. Give your skin some extra love.
Give your skin some extra love in the weeks before the wedding. Yes, you’ll have a radiant “I’m so in love” bridal glow. But how can you ensure your skin is glowing too? Indulge in monthly facials leading up to your wedding day. Invest in a Clarisonic – one of the best at home cleansing tools – and use it on a daily basis. Be sure to drink plenty of water to help hydrate your skin, reduce under eye circles, and improve the overall clarity of the skin.
2. Skip the SPF
This advice totally goes against everything we estheticians stand for, because we know the importance of protecting your skin. But on your wedding day I recommend skipping the SPF on your face because it creates a slight white cast in photos. If you can’t go without it, use a lower SPF to avoid looking ghostly.
3. Amp up your favorite look
Pick a look that makes you feel beautiful, and amp it up. On your wedding day, it is important to do your makeup just a little more dramatic then normal. Not crazy dramatic with dark black eye shadow and ten pounds of face makeup – you can achieve a natural look while ensuring your makeup is photo ready. Why should you amp up your makeup?
- a. You need a little bit more depth and color to make things pop and not look washed out.
- b. You want to look flawless from the first look to the last dance of the evening. Having a tad more makeup on helps it to last all day.
- c. You will have your hair beautifully done, and you will be wearing a wedding gown you love, so you want your makeup to complement your hair and dress.
4. Be Emergency-Proof
Have an emergency makeup touch up kit on hand. Makeup emergencies do happen. Here are a few things I recommend you have on hand:
- a. Lots of tissues: Yes, you are going to cry and that is okay, but I always tell my brides, “Don’t let it be a waterfall and ruin everything you just paid to have done.” Try and catch your tears to prevent water streaks on your flawless face makeup.
- b. Blot Powder: Having some type of blot powder or setting powder to take away shine is always a good idea. Use it throughout the evening to help with shine, especially for pictures.
- c. Eyelash glue: You never know when those pesky false eyelashes – if you choose to wear them – may act up. Having lash glue on hand prevents any embarrassing eyelash stories.
- d. Lipstick and lip gloss: You will be kissing, eating, and of course, talking a lot, so be sure to have your favorite lip color on hand and ready to reapply!
5. Hire a professional
Hiring a professional makeup artist is important for so many reasons. A professional guarantees a bride that her makeup will stay all day and that it will photograph beautifully. There is not a woman out there who doesn’t want to look and feel her best on wedding day. By hiring a professional makeup artist, you relieve yourself of so much stress, and you also pamper yourself.
If you’re interested in some more wedding fun, check out Beth K. Vogt’s Destination Wedding series and the Autumn Brides novella!