In Others’ Word: Choosing Fun
Sometimes I forget to have fun.
Does that ever happen to you?
I get so caught up in the business — also known as “busyness” — of life, that I can’t be bothered with something as silly as fun.
I’ll be all focused on accomplishing this, that, and the other thing … and then I’ll look up from my hot pursuit of the “To Do” list and think, “When was the last time I relaxed and had a good old fashioned belly laugh?”
Here’s the thing I’ve learned: Sometimes fun is spontaneous. And sometimes you have to plan fun into your life — do things for fun. Intentionally.
Fun for me looks like:
- sitting on the couch and watching black and white episodes of “The Dick Van Dyke” show with my 11-year-old daughter
- game nights with family — and friends too! Favorites: Settlers of Catan, Quelf, Scotland Yard (And I usually don’t win.)
- backyard water gun battles — oh, yeah!
- learning to make sushi, thanks to my precious daughter-in-love, Jenelle, who didn’t mind my somewhat squashed rolls
- date nights with my husband
In Your Words: Check your pulse for me, will you? Are you alive? What’s the last thing you did just for fun? What’s one of your favorite fun things to do?