I know, I know. This is a blog about quotes — not about me. And usually my blog posts are short.
But I’ve been invited by other blogging friends to “list x number of things about yourself” — and never complied. I’ve always been too busy … pushed to the max by deadlines and “to dos” and … really? Too busy for a little fun?
So then this past Wednesday rolled around. My friend Coleen Patrick blogged about the letter “L,” inviting anyone to join the letter-fun and offering to pick a letter for us. So, I said, “Why not?” and requested a letter. She gave me the letter “T.”
And then my friend Kim Henson of “Do you like cake?” fame (and so much more!) had such a fun “I Listed 25 Things About Myself … you should try it some time” blog post on Thursday.
Which brings us to today: The letter “T,” brought to you by me (and Coleen, of course), in a “Twenty-five Things About Me” post. Let the fun begin!
- I am a twin. (Oh, look, I’m sticking with the letter “T.” This won’t happen for all 25 things, I assure you.) My sister, Brenda, and I are fraternal twins. Our parents called us “Day” and “Night” because I was fair and she was dark. I always liked that.
- I went to Catholic school and, at one time, considered being a nun. I think most young Catholic girls do at one point in their lives. I even corresponded with a nun for a year — and she encouraged me to explore life before making a decision. I obviously opted out of the convent.
- I was a spelling bee champ in school. Loved spelling bees. Math, not so much … which brings me to #4 …
- I am the original carrier of math-anxiety. It all started here, folks. The minute anyone starts talking math, the white noise turns on in my head.
- I one time dated five different guys named Michael at the same time. This was at the end of high school … and no, I was not a runaround kind of girl. It just happened. Now do you want to know what I did when I received a bouquet of roses signed “From Michael”?
- The movie “The Kid” is one of my all-time favorite movies. When Bruce Willis yells, “I’m OK” — I want to jump up and yell it with him.
- I do not like scary movies. At. All. One rule in the Vogt Family: If even one person is scared by a movie or TV show, we don’t watch it.
- If God had asked me what talent I’d like to have — not that I’m complaining or anything, I’m just having fun with this list — I would have asked for the singing voice good enough to land me on Broadway — and the dancing ability too, of course.
- I kiss my kiddos good night every night until they leave for college … because that day comes way-too soon. They may not remember, but I do.
- A regret: That I canceled a trip to Europe because my then-boyfriend asked me not to go. S-T-U-P-I-D. The right guy would have said “Have fun and make sure to send a postcard!”
- It took me way-too long to look in the mirror and like what I saw.
- Romance for me is an impromptu dance in the kitchen with my husband.
- I’ve lived in Turkey. Thank you, Uncle Sam, and the fact that I married a military man. I did not know that the Air Force could send you to Turkey — for two years.
- I think it’s a wonderful thing to look at your adult children and think “I wish I had been more like you when I was your age.”
- I realized a few years ago that I was an “Accidental Pharisee.” Blogged about it for a while … about how I was attempting to step away from the comfortableness of legalism into God’s lavish grace.
- I know for a fact that a kidney stone is more painful than labor. How? Because I had a kidney stone when I was 8 months pregnant with my fourth child. This was also when I discovered that morphine is a wonderful thing.
- I sing in my car — loud. Sometimes I dance. My daughters usually joined in. My son was glad when he got his own car.
- My favorite Christmas song is “Silent Night.” I love to attend a candlelight service and sing that song. Then I’m ready to celebrate Christmas.
- I am craft-challenged. I gave my sewing machine away when I turned 30. I haven’t missed it.
- I love hummingbirds. I have a wonderful hummingbird story — but for now, I will just say that when I see or hear a hummingbird, I hear God saying, “I love you.”
- My one word definition of marriage? W-O-R-K. But it is so, so worth the work.
- I am a gluten-free gal. But so are a lot of other people, so it’s no big deal.
- I need my girlfriends. They enrich my life. I like to give my friends nicknames. You’ve been warned.
- I am living my dream, having the chance to write. How many people can say that? I sat in a conference one time where a speaker urged us to go out and pursue our dreams. I sat there and cried because I realized I was living my dream.
- My favorite place to be? In my husband’s arms. (I bet you thought I was going to say the mountains or the beach …)
If you’re reading this post, well, first … thank you! And I invite you to join the fun and share something about yourself (starting with the letter “T” or not!) in a comment below — and then post your own Twenty-five Things About Me blog post!0 I like this!