In Others’ Words: Behind the Title & Spine Poetry Challenge Contest
I often have the title of my novel before I write the opening line of chapter one, scene one. With just a few words, titles capture the essence of a novel. By the time I begin writing, I know enough of my story to encaspulate it in a title — even if that title before the book goes to press.
For my destination wedding series, I decided to research song titles for potential book titles, thanks to the advice of one of my wise mentors best-selling author Susan May Warren. There are approximately a gazillion song titles to research — yes, I counted — but even with so many choices, it wasn’t easy to find just the right song title for my upcoming novel.
Things I consider when choosing a book title:
- Main characters – In Crazy Little Thing Called Love, my hero and heroine met in high school. Eloped during spring break during senior year. Divorced. And meet up again eight years later.
- Genre – I write contemporary romances, so I browsed love songs. I Googled lists like “top 100 love songs” and “classic love songs” and “movie long songs.”
- Overall plot – It’s crazy for two teens to elope. It’s crazy to run into your first love when you’re planning your destination wedding for your second marriage. It’s crazy to deal with a hurricane at the same time you’re dealing with mixed up emotions.
Crazy. Crazy. Crazy.
Crazy Little Thing Called Love — the title of the first novel in my destination wedding series. It works. And it doesn’t hurt that when people hear the title they also hear the song in their heads too. I like the Michael Bublé version.
*Spine Poetry Challenge*
Grab your favorite books and create a “poem” or loose “limerick” from the titles. Something as simple as:
- All your favorite authors in one stack
- Similar titles
- Similar spine colors for a lovely mosaic
- Titles that when placed in a stack tell a simple story or rhyme
- All of one author’s books in one stack
IMPORTANT: Be sure to post a link to your spine poetry in the PromoSimple form for your entry to be counted!
Ready for step two?
Take a picture and post it on social media, tagging one or all of our authors: @PepperBasham, @KCambronAuthor, @CarlaLaureano, @BethVogt, @CathWest
Want extra credit?
You didn’t want to do this just for the fun of it? Well, okay then. :- ))
Each spine poem is entered to win a prize basket with a copy of each of our author’s books:
The Thorn Bearer by Pepper Basham
A Sparrow in Terezin by Kristy Cambron
London Tides by Carla Laureano
Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Beth K. Vogt
Bridge of Faith by Catherine West
If you create a Spine Poem with any of our authors in one collection, you’ll be entered to win this mother lode:
Hand-crafted Swarovski crystal bracelet
Pride & Prejudice DVD
Signed copy of The Butterfly and the Violin by Kristy Cambron
Yesterday’s Tomorrow by Catherine West
Signed copy of Somebody Like You by Beth Vogt
Downton Abbey inspired tea spoon and tea