In Others’ Words: Direction
Where are you headed?
There are 28 days left in December and then it’s time for a new calendar and a new year.
Where are you headed in 2013?
If you’ve known me for any length of time, you know I abandoned New Year’s Resolutions years ago — way back in 2006, to be exact. Instead, I focus on one word. That’s it: just one word. The beauty of focusing on one word? I never lose track of one word, unlike a list of resolutions, which I usually lose within the first month of a new year. The best thing about focusing on one word? By the end of the year, I’ve experienced real life change.
In 2012, my word was trust. It’s been a year of change for me, both in my personal life and my professional life. And looking back, I can see why God directed me to the word “trust.” I had to put my hope and confidence in him over and over again during the past twelve months. I faced doubting versus trusting — and ultimately chose trusting God. One thing I enjoyed doing this past year was posting daily trust quotes on my Facebook page. Doing so broadened my understanding of trust.
Before I share my word for 2013, I’ll rewind and tell you what my words have been in years past:
- 2006: gratitude (I kept a gratitude journal and found my “glass-half-empty” attitude revolutionized.)
- 2007: simplify (A severe illness turned this word into survival. I embraced simpler things in ways I never imagined.)
- 2008: content – as in “be content with such things as you have” (Hebrews 13:5) (I bought a lot less that year!)
- 2009 & 2010: forgiveness (I had a lot to learn and unlearn about forgiveness.)
- 2011: hope (A word I clung to when life hurt or when my heart ached for others who were hurting. There were times I could have asked “Why?” Instead, I asked myself, “Are you going to abandon hope?” My answer: No.)
My word for 2013 is confidence. The Scripture I’ve anchored the word to is “… do not throw away your confidence …” (Hebrews 10:35 NIV) and I intend to apply this exhortation to both my personal and writing life. And that’s my visual to remind me of my focus for 2013.
In Your Words: Where are you headed in 2013? Are you making a list of New Year’s Resolutions and checking it twice? Or, like me, do you choose one word and focus on that for 365 days?
0 I like this!